- Grillin' dogs! #
- I am looking at my broom, considering declaring Shenanigans. #
- Bootable hard drives make life a breeze. #
- I can't get enough of Hank Mobley's sound. He's got what I aspire to. #
- I find your lack of beer disturbing. #
- I'm back at work and finally hearing teenage girls talk repeatedly about Justin Bieber. I don't know who he is, and my ignorance is bliss. #
- A grand prize awaits the first person to bring me soup! #
- I'm still struggling with this damn cold. Someone send me scrambled eggs and toast with a chai tea kicker! #
- Computer-based courses cannot be run effectively when the students' knowledge of them outclasses the instructors'. #
- Why again is it not Friday? #
- I can't believe I may have to come in on the weekend. These new art labs are never empty! #
- I honestly can't believe where I am this morning. #
- Done. I'm outta here. #
“Autumn Leaves” – Bill Evans Trio
Without fail, the beginning of the school year means I get to catch a rough little cold overnight.
At least being half laid-up gives me an excuse to catch up with my niece in reading Harry Potter. I’m halfway through The Half-Blood Prince and have to say again that if you haven’t read these books, you should. These books will undoubtedly stand the test of time and become treasured literature for another century.
Back to drinking buckets of tea and watching the mercury fall.
Gotta pass this along too, lest I forget for another two weeks.
Translated from German, this means “They are among us!” and its a slogan the German SciFi channel has been using. And just to prove that every country is cooler than we are, they ran this commercial:
(Found via Bad Astronomy.)
Meant to share this ages ago:
Dave Roberts goes after global warming skeptics:
Consider what the Limbaugh/Morano crowd is saying about climate: not only that that the world’s scientists and scientific institutions are systematically wrong, but that they are purposefully perpetrating a deception. Virtually all the world’s governments, scientific academies, and media are either in on it or duped by it. The only ones who have pierced the veil and seen the truth are American movement conservatives, the ones who found death panels in the healthcare bill.
It’s a species of theater, repeated so often people have become inured, but if you take it seriously it’s an extraordinary charge. For one thing, if it’s true that the world’s scientists are capable of deception and collusion on this scale, a lot more than climate change is in doubt. These same institutions have told us what we know about health and disease, species and ecosystems, energy and biochemistry. If they are corrupt, we have to consider whether any of the knowledge they’ve generated is trustworthy. We could be operating our medical facilities, economies, and technologies on faulty theories. We might not know anything! Here we are hip-deep in postmodernism and it came from the right, not the left academics they hate.
(Found via The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan.)
This nails a lot right to the wall, and ties into my feelings of the American Conservative shift toward pro-ignorance. To believe the things they claim to believe, they need to disregard hundreds of years of societal and scientific advancement.
- Installing cubicle walls feels like being a kid and building a pillow fort. #
- Posted pictures of the kids. You're welcome, World. #
- "Oh yeah, this is the kind of dog you feed every day." #
- "I put up with you and you put up with me. That's what marriage is!" #
- Crap, I'm going to be in charge of calendars now? Can I have Outlook on my Mac, please?? #
- Tonight: Wine. And Reading. And Writing. And Quiet. #
- The "Simply Heinz" ketchup, with fewer ingredients and proper sugar really does taste better than any other ketchup. #
- When you're up at 7am on a Saturday, Central Time, Twitter is a little quiet. #
- Passing this along for my friends -> RT @mental_floss: 10 Things You Should Know About J.R.R. Tolkien – http://bit.ly/8XybhZ #
- How I define genius: http://bit.ly/dqi14s #
“Sinnerman” – Nina Simone
From September 3rd.
Mommy brought home new toys!
Can’t tell they’re brother and sister, can you?
Them’s my kids. Nobody else can have them.
‘Cept maybe my wife.
Just call me Evan, Small-Time Hero.